The LSIA170 Story
Fr Jean-Marie Beurel, a French missionary priest of the Paris Foreign Missions, invited the Brothers of the Christian Schools to Singapore to start a school for boys as early as 1844.
Fr Beurel went back to France and accompanied 6 De La Salle Brothers and 4 Holy Infant Jesus (CHIJ) Sisters on the ship named La Julie which arrived in Singapore 170 years ago on 29 March 1852.
It was with St Joseph's Institution in Singapore and St Xavier's Institution in Penang that the De La Salle Brothers began their educational and pastoral mission in Asia which then expanded to other parts of the continent.
The rest is history!